Spring Showers Bring Summer Flowers
The Summer 2016 version of Ascend will be here before you know it. While the Spring release got off to a rocky start, we’ve ironed out the kinks and added some great additional features.
The Ol’ Switcheroo: How many times have you chosen one of the five John Smiths in your system for a transaction, only to realize (after you’ve already started adding sales items, of course!) that you picked the wrong one? Never fear – now, changing the customer associated with a transaction is just a click away! Select the Customer menu > Select, or press F11 on your keyboard.
Just remember: the customer can only be changed while the transaction is still open or on the same date it’s closed, and cannot be changed if a customer-reliant payment (gift certificate, in-store credit, or purchase on account) has been taken.
Honor Customers’ Preferences: Are you participating in the Trek Connect Retail Marketing (TCRM) program? The TCRM Unsubscribe List report in Ascend Online Reports (AOR) gives you a list of your customers who have unsubscribed from your email list in a date range. Export this list to an Ascend-friendly version and quickly update your customers’ communication preferences. For step-by-step instructions, see the Trek Connect Retail Marketing: Report on Sales topic in our online help.
Credit Card Security: Recently, there have been some reports of “skimmer” devices attached to Ingenico iSC250 payment terminals at a large, big-box retailer. While this type of fraud isn’t new, and requires direct access to your hardware, here are a few things you can do to prevent it:
- Check for, and secure your hardware against, “skimmer” and other logging devices; see the PCI Security Standards Council’s™ Skimming Prevention – Best Practices for Merchants guide.
- Don’t take credit card payments over the phone – especially if the customer wants the items shipped directly to them instead of picking them up in store.
- Capture the customer’s signature for every credit card transaction and compare this signature to the one on the back of their card.
- If allowed by local privacy laws, ask for government-issued ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport) to verify their identity.
- If you must keep a record of the customer’s full credit card number (e.g. as collateral for a rental or demo), keep it in a physically secured and restricted location (e.g. store safe, locked filing cabinet).
- Don’t give out sensitive information (e.g. account or card numbers, passwords).
- Don’t allow anyone to install software without verifying its authenticity – just because a caller or email claims to be from a recognizable company, it doesn’t mean they really are. If you’re unsure of the authenticity, call the company on a number you know is valid. That includes us – while we do occasionally reach out to our retailers to proactively fix issues, never hesitate to call us back at 877-875-8663 to verify the tech’s identity.
- If it seems “phishy,” verify!
Trek Summer Sale: Are you participating in Trek’s Summer Sale promotion? Both the bikes and P&A are available in the Trek Sale Wizard now. While Trek will be promoting the sale pricing on their website starting June 9, the Sale Wizard promotions are set to the official sale dates of July 8-18. However, if you wish to offer early sale pricing, you can adjust the date range after downloading.
June Sales Specials: This month, get $35 off of a Zebra LP2824 Plus label printer or $50 off a Zebra LI4278 cordless scanner. We even have a few refurbished LI4278 scanners for just $350. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order yours today. And be sure to keep an eye on our Ascend Hardware Sales page for the latest monthly deals!Tags: credit cards, customers, fraud, iSC 250, pci, security, skimmers, Summer 2016